Friday, December 3, 2010

Memories

Well lit the candles this evening for the third day of Chanukkah. There was me, my fiance, her son and nephew and my bud's son who we were looking after. I said each word of the prayer in Hebrew and they repeated after me. Unfortunately I can't remember some things properly (especially prayers in Hebrew) if I say them one word at a time and it was the wrong prayer. I said the correct one afterward. Oh well.

When I was a kid my family would all watch television together. My Mom would always point out which famous person was Jewish. I continued this tradition with my friends in high school and even catch myself doing it today. My buddy Neil would always be asking me, "how do you know this?" In honour of Chanukkah and this memory here's a link to Adam Sandler's "The Hanukkah Song". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vrd9p47MPHg

Everyone always thinks I got a present every day for Chanukkah. That never happened. I didn't even get very good presents. One year I got cardboard. I swear!! My Mom bought me these cardboard things with plastic in the middle to slip coins into. I don't think I even collected coins.

I told my fiance this story about me as a kid, it's her favourite. Growing up all the kids on my street were about the same age. We all went to each others' houses and celebrated birthday parties with each other. Well one year my friend asked me where I was going on vacation because his Mom told him that I wouldn't be at his birthday party because my family was going away. This was news to me and my Mom said we weren't going anywhere. I told my friend this but his Mom didn't believe him and my Mom wouldn't call her up to tell her there was a mistake. Come the day of the party all the kids are at his house and I'm all alone. So I walked up and down the street with my head down kicking stones. My friend's Mom saw me on the street and called me up to join the party. Everyone felt sorry for me and made me feel better. I didn't even have a present. This would have made a great Leave it To Beaver epsiode.

When I was in grade seven I came home for lunch. All the my friend's would show up at 12:00 PM so we could watch Leave it to Beaver. I'm still looking for a Larry Mundellow (sp) T-Shirt. That would be cool.

Well that's it for now. Me thinks I'm going to bed. Yawn.
Dave the Dude

No comments:

Post a Comment