Saturday, January 12, 2013

I'm Back

Wow - it's been over a year since I've written a new blog. You know I don't even know what the "B" in blog means. Hmm. I've decided in this new year of 2013 that I will set a goal of writing a minimum of two blogs entries a month. If I'm really energetic maybe one a week. It seems the year 2012 wasn't that good for me so hopefully the 2013 will be better.

I originally started this blog for something to do and because I like writing. So here I go again. Today I went to see The Gangster Squad. I went to see the flick at the Oshawa Odeon theatre. I refuse to go to this theatre during prime time hours because there's been numerous occasions when I went to an evening show on a Friday or Saturday and there was no parking to be had and everyone went home grumpy. So today I took  Isaiah and we went to a noon show. There was lots of parking to be had. We got our tickets and lined up at the concession stand. After waiting awhile in line we get to the front and order our food. The dude behind the counter gives me a receipt and tells me I have to line up again to get the actual food. This line up is longer than the first one. What is this Russia during the Cold War? What kind of business practice is that? I've just found another reason besides lack of parking to boycott this place.

The movie itself was great. Gangster Squad is based or inspired, I'm never sure what the difference is, on the gangsters in LA circa 1948. Primarily the gangster Mickey Cohen. Cohen is a fell Jewboy and is played by Sean Penn (Fast Times; Milk). Cohen is one mean gangster who runs LA. The chief of police, played by Nick Nolte (48 Hours), puts together a secret squad of cops to take down Cohen. The squad is formed and chaos ensues. The movie boils down to good versus evil and what the 'good guys' have to do to defeat said evil. In order to defeat Cohen the secret squad must put down their badges and come down to Cohen's level.

The usual Hollywood cliches are written into this movie. There is the cop who has basically given up and doesn't want to join the squad until something traumatizing occurs to persuade him to do so. There's the intellectual cop who poses the ethical questions surrounding the squads' methods. Then there's the leader, played by Josh Brolin ("W"; No Country For Old Men) who is determined to fight for justice. The movie was a good ride and fun to watch. It was also a bit gross starting from the opening scene. I do give the flick three coffees out of five. It also put me the mood to watch The Untocuhables from 1987 a great gangster flick if I do say so myself.

This past I week I've been on vacation. For the last four months I've had this chest cold and a permanent stuffy nose. I've been blowing my nose so hard that I cut the right nostril. I keep picking at it thinking snot is stuck to my nose and making it worse. Back to work this Monday bloody nose and all. ;)

Well that's it for now. I hope this first blog effort of the new year ain't too bad. Until next time.
Dave the Dude


No comments:

Post a Comment