Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Common Sense

The big story I heard in the news and on talk radio today was regarding complaints involving people with baby strollers on the TTC. The TTC is going to waste a load of money studying this issue. Typical bureaucratic bullshit. This problem and many of the problems people face on a daily basis can be solved if people just had common sense. Don't worry I'm not talking about The Common Sense Revolution (actually...nah, won't go there).

I lived in Toronto for approximately 12 years and took transit for the majority of that time. For one thing "TTC" doesn't actually stand for Toronto Transit Commission but means Take The Car. What a crappy system. It needs more subways, alas that is a different debate. Back to strollers. Buses, street cars and subways are crowded on a regular basis. I remember often groaning as people shoved their giant strollers down the aisle of a bus leaving no room for anyone to get by. It is truly a pain in the ass. However, the key word in public transit is "public" and everyone has a right to use it. People with baby strollers just have to remember that the world doesn't revolve around them and if there is no room for them to get on then they just have to wait for the next vehicle. Those who are whining about the strollers just have to remember that babies need to get around too, So to both parties suck it up and deal with reality. Another problem on public transit is these idiots with backpacks. Whenever I carried my backpack onto a transit vehicle I took it off my back and put it on the floor between my legs. It drives me crazy these people who walk around taking up space and smashing people in the head with their backpacks. Also backpacks don't pay a fare so they don't get to take up a seat - yeeesh!!!

Moving on from transit let's talk line-ups. When I'm lining up for something stop crowding me. You won't get to the head of the line any quicker. I want some space. Why do people have to stand less than an inch behind those in front of them? Drives me crazy. I remember one time waiting behind someone in line at McDonald's to order a coffee at lunch. I gave a good foot of space between myself and the person ordering and then this guy buds in front of me. I say something to the guy and we proceed to argue. I didn't lose my space in line but did lose my temper. Let's talk line-ups at drive thrus. Honking your horn to make the line go  faster just doesn't work. You think the car in front of you can make their order be made quicker? Usually there's a problem that is neither the customer's nor the employee's fault. Have patience or park and go in. Honking your horn will just piss everyone off and make the employee more nervous and apt to make more mistakes causing an even longer delay.

I heard today that in New York City people have so little common sense that the city has had to come up with a bunch of micromanaging laws such as banning people from sitting on the stairs leading into a subway. In today's society of entitlement and selfishness I have little this problem exists. If it was warmer here I bet the same by-law would be passed. e

What we forget in society is that everyone is equal. That's why I ignore those non-legal parking signs: reserved for mother and kids; reserved for smart cars; etc. Why is a mother with kids more important than me? Just because she chose to have kids and I didn't does that mean I have to be penalized. People need to take responsibility for their own decisions. I've made decisions or carried out actions that have negatively impacted my life but I bit the bullet and took responsibility for my actions and faced the consequences without whining. It's like teachers who complain about having to do extra curricular activities. Come on - you knew what the job was before you went into it. If you don't like it stop your whining and use your months of vacation to find a new vocation. Take responsibility for your choices in life and stop blaming the rest of society. We don't owe you shit.

There would be less arguing, less chaos and less money spent if people just used some common sense.



No comments:

Post a Comment