Thursday, April 9, 2015

Disturbing Trends

There are multiple roadblocks to people getting help for addictions. The first obstacle, and one of the hardest, is for someone to admit they have an issue and ask for help. In order for to that to occur there must be a level of trust. Prior to seeking treatmnet I trusted my family doctor enough to tell him all that I was up to - drinking, drugging and other risky behaviours. He did not judge me nor come right out and tell me to stop drinking, etc. What he did do was subtly influence me to come to the realization on my own that I had a problem and needed help in solving it. It was then that I took my first step in a long road towards recovery. The most important word in this story is 'trust'. I trusted my family doctor and if I did not I would not have told him a thing.

I've been in the addiction treatment industry for a few years now and over the last couple of years I've noticed a disturbing trend. People are going to either a family doctor, ER doctor or walk-in clinic doctor seeking help for the effects caused by addiction. In turn, these doctors are reporting their conversations to the Ontario Ministry of Transportation (MTO). The MTO, in turn, decideds to suspend the patient's driver's license even though the person may have never drank and drove in their life.

This decision to take someone's licesne away without proof that they actually broke a law seems like it may be against the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. If someone admits that they drink too much that doesn't mean they are breaking the Motor Vehicle Act. More importantly when word spreads of this trend people who want to get help will not tell their doctor the truth for fear of government retribution. This new barrier could lead to a cornucopia of people not finding the help they need. People's addictions will eventually lead them to the ultimate sober cure - death. For this is a fatal disease if not put into remission.

I am not advocting drinking and driving nor letting someone off the hook for drinking and driving as part of recovery is taking responsiblity for our choices and accepting the consquences. What I am advocating is for doctors and the MTO to stop being the judge, jury and, possibly, excutioner of someone who is facing a serious disease.

Dave the Dude

No comments:

Post a Comment