Sunday, November 30, 2014

It's a Cat's LIfe

Some people are cat people and some people are dog people. When I was a kid I always thought I was a dog person but then when my sister turned 18 her friends got her a cat named Oscar. Oscar was a great cat both playful and affectionate. I went off to school and my sister shortly after so Oscar became my parent's cat. He came down with some liver issues and sadly passed away.

My parents had grown very fond of having a cat which prompted my mother to go out and get a new one. This cat was a Calico named Brandi. Brandi was one of those cats who hated being picked up and was, for lack of a better word, very bitchy. But we all grew to love her too. She saw my mom die of cancer and out lasted my dad who died several years later after suffering a stroke. I was living with my dad at the time of his death and took Brandi with me when I moved. Brandi lasted to the ripe old cat age of 17 and then I had to put her down after she became very sick with cancer and was in great pain. I remember taking Brandi to the vet when she first got sick. The vet asked me if I knew Brandi was blind and I was truly dumbfounded. I had seen no indication of this. Apparently animals are very versatile and can handle things like going blind well. When Brandi was put to sleep she was surrounding by loved ones - myself, my girlfriend and her son. Being sentimental I spared no expense for the her remains. I had Brandi cremated and put in a clay urn and a mold taken of her paw. It is prominently displayed in my house today.

A month or two after Brandi passed away I took my girlfriend and her son down to the animal shelter to pick out a new feline. My girlfriend chose my current cat and named her Taurus. Taurus is a great cat. She is the biggest suck of all the cats I've ever had. She starves for attention and, much to the chagrin of my girlfriend, is in everyone's business. You can't go to the bathroom in peace or eat a meal without her wanting some.

Taurus can be very destructive. Just the other day she chewed up my phone charge chord. That makes the number of chords she has destroyed five.  Unlike my parents I did not have the heart to declaw Taurus and as a result she has scratched a lot of things. If my mom were alive she would be aghast at what Taurus has done to furniture of hers I still have. She also destroyed the blinds in my room so she could look out the window. Then Taurus ripped off the material under my bed so she could have something to sleep on.  But every time Taurus does something destructive she looks at me with that innocent face and I can't help but forgive her.

Taurus' newest thing is jumping on my back while I'm sleeping and kneading. She started off doing this a few times a week and now his worked up to a few times every night. I try to see if I can out last here before the pain of her claws in my back get too much. She usually wins and I have to kick her off my back.

Taurus is a great cat and myself, my girlfriend and her son (even though he won't admit it) love her with all our hearts. She's a great companion.
Dave the Dude

No comments:

Post a Comment