Friday, March 4, 2016

My Favourite 12 Step Cliches

For those of you who are new to 12 Step Fellowships you’ll notice a lot of clichés bandied about the rooms. At first they may seem simple or even irritating but if you stick around you’ll find some wisdom in them. Here are some of my faves.

1.      Don’t let people rent space in your head. – When I get irritated at someone I’m letting them have power over me. The core word in resentment is sentiment. To have resentment is to live that sentiment over and over again. If you are able to learn how to stop this from happening people will no longer rent space in your head.

2.      I didn’t get in trouble every time I drank but every time I got in trouble I was drinking. – A big part of addiction is denial. No one decides to change unless they have some consequences. The unfortunate fact is that many wait until there are lots of consequences rather than stopping their addiction when there is just a few. Some addicts feel that since they don’t have consequences every time they engage their addiction they don’t have any issues. But if they take a close look, and wipe away their denial, they would see that many of their troubles occurred while obtaining or under the influence of something.


3.      If nothing changes – nothing changes. – Recovery doesn’t happen unless I’m willing to change. First I have to change by stopping my self-medicating. Then I have to change my thinking and behaviours. If I don’t change my dry date will (that’s a bonus cliché).

4.      If you are not completely satisfied with AA (CA, NA, etc.), your misery will be promptly refunded. – One of the spiritual pillars of a 12 Step program is open-mindedness. Newcomers to the program are asked to keep an open mind and try out our suggestions. If you don’t like it you’re free to try something else and we’ll give you back all your problems.


5.      If you hang out in a barbershop long enough you’re going to get a haircut. – Some newcomers to recovery think they can continue to go hang out with their buddies in the bars but only drink pop. What they quickly find is that eventually the disease will kick in and tell them that one won’t hurt. Then they’re back in the cycle of addiction again.

6.      Look for the similarities, not at the differences. – People who come into the 12 Step rooms and begin comparing themselves to others have less a chance of making it then those who seek commonalities. The danger is an individual saying to themselves statements like: “I didn’t drink that much”. “I never got arrested”. “I never had a DUI.” “My liver is fine”. The word that should be placed at the end of all those statements is “yet”. For if one continues in their addiction we have found that they eventually find out that they are just like everyone else.


7.      The first step is the only one you have to have a 100 per cent in. – Step One is the only step one has to be totally committed to. It’s the Step where you learn about the disease of addiction and how one is powerless over it and the mess it makes of one’s life. If you don’t believe you have the disease then you will not be motivated to work on the solution.

8.      We are not bad people trying to get good, we are sick people trying to get well. – Low self-esteem is common in those entering into recovery. We have to remember that we are all good people who have done some things we regret as a result of our disease. Now that we know about the disease we start to get better. (This does not mean we are not responsible for making amends for damages we have done while active in our illness). I wasn’t dirty – I was sick. I am not clean – I am sober.


9.      While you work on recovery, your addiction is doing push-ups. – I have been sober for just over 11 years. If I were to, Higher Power forbid, start drinking again it would not be like I was starting over. I would pick up my addiction as if I had been drinking for those 11 years. Science can’t explain this but it is a fact. As the late great Alcoholics Anonymous member Father Martin said, “only God knows why and he ain’t telling us”.

10.  Under every skirt there’s a slip. – This is my favourite one that I heard while in a men’s treatment centre. It’s suggested to newcomers in recovery to not enter into any new romantic relationships for a year. The reason being that a new relationship brings up a great deal of emotional turmoil which could lead us back to active addiction.


11.  Under every pair of trousers there’s a lower power. – See number 10.

12.  The first one goes down easy – and that does it! – One of the common slogans we hear around the rooms is Easy Does It. This has always been my favourite interpretation of that slogan. It reminds me that it’s not the fifth drink that is the problem but the first one.


13.  Pray for Potatoes But Be Willing To Pick Up a Hoe – Our Higher Power will help us out but we still have to do the work.


No comments:

Post a Comment