Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Antiquated Treatment Rules

I’ve been to three addiction treatment centres as a client (third one was the charm) and have worked at four different ones since becoming an addictions counsellor. As a result I feel I have a pretty good grasp of what works and what doesn’t.  All treatment centres, especially residential ones, have various rules and regulations. In my experience a lot of these rules/regulations are either outdated or make no sense at all. Here is a list of rules/regulations that I would change (this is not a commentary on actual programming for as I’ve also discovered different programs work for different people).

1)      No hats to be worn inside: Many treatment centres still have this rule.  There was a time (probably decades ago) where wearing a hat inside was considered disrespectful. However, times have changed and most people no longer care if someone wears a hat indoors. I’ve found that it’s a pain in the ass enforcing this antiquated regulation.

2)      No cell phones: Every centre I’ve worked at does not allow clients to have cell phones on their person. As technology progresses it has become easier for clients to hide cell phones.  One of the reasons behind this rule was to prevent clients from calling former drugs dealers and set up drop offs. Another, more pertinent, reason for no cell phones is that if someone is constantly in touch with the outside world they can be easily distracted from what they have come to treatment to work on – getting clean and sober. The former reason seems to be a moot point as clients often have access to either a pay phone or unsupervised access to a house phone at various times while in treatment. The best solution I have observed for this is to allow clients access to their cellular phones once or twice a day for a limited period. I feel this takes away the need for a client to hide his phone and gets rid of the burden placed on staff to constantly try to catch clients who have hid phones. Smart clients never get caught while the less intellectually inclined often do. I remember a client’s cell phone going off during one of my group sessions. I couldn’t help but think that if you’re going to hide a phone at least turn the damn ringer off. SMH.

3)      No caffeinated coffee: To me this rule is a joke and a hindrance to recovery. The reasoning behind not allowing caffeinated coffee is so that clients who are addicted to stimulants (e.g. – cocaine; meth) won’t use coffee to try to simulate the effect these drugs gave them. However, the places I’ve seen who limit or ban caffeinated coffee still have tea so the clients who want caffeine just overload on that beverage. Or when clients go to a 12 Step meeting or have a pass they chug down loads of coffee. Coffee is an accepted social lubricant in North American society – a much less destructive social lubricant than alcohol. I have yet to come across a person who is stealing, selling their bodies or ignoring their families to score a cup of caffeinated Joe. Let the clients have their caffeine (while you enjoy your own - as everywhere I work the staff regularly drink this caffeinated refreshment).

4)      No cigarettes: Several provincial withdrawal centres and some treatment centres have banned smoking. To me this is ridiculous. I agree smoking is not healthy. I quit as I was on the road to COPD. However, the early stages of recovery are extremely stressful and taking away a non-mind altering (in the intoxication sense) substance that helps relieve stress is cruel and unusual treatment. Not at all in line with the client-centred approach of best practices.

These are just few rules/regulations that, in my humble opinion, are antiquated and need to be gone from the treatment centre scene.

Dave the Dude

No comments:

Post a Comment