Sunday, February 24, 2013

I'm Becoming my Dad

Let me start out by saying that I loved my Dad. Before he passed away we lived together for over five years and he became more than just a father but a great friend as well. Having said that since I was a teenager there were certain idiosyncracies that drove me crazy. Much to my dismay I think I absorbed these through osmosis as I'm now doing many of the same things.

Growing up and into adulthood my Dad was always telling my siblings and I to turn off the light and not to waste electricity. Today I find myself saying the same things to Indra and Isaiah. I guess when you actually pay the electric bill it makes sense.

One thing that drove me crazy was that my Dad was always picking little pieces of fluff, food, etc. off the floor. It would drive me insane watching this. Of course, now I do this and drive Indra insane while she watches me. I also can't stand it when people don't put things back to where they found them (admittedly I probably also inherited this from my Mom).

My Dad would lose it if you borrowed a pen from him and returned it with the cap missing. I must have done this dozens of times as a kid. I've now inherited this same OCD symptom. I have to ground myself when people give me back a pen with no cap.

A not so great thing I do that my Dad did is blow up when I'm angry. I've been working on this as Indra doesn't appreciate it when I lose it and start screaming. I seem to have got a handle on this issue except for when I'm driving then all bets are off. Ironically my Dad was pretty calm when driving and I was the one grumbling under my breath for him to drive faster. I remember that he and my Mom were always arguing while he was driving about which turn to make, how his driving was in general, etc. Indra and I seem to have the same relationship in the car and she never even witnessed it. Although she did get me a GPS a few years ago to prevent me from getting lost.

I did inherit some great things from my Dad. His rugged good looks. His ability to empathize with others and want to help. I'm nowhere near his level of selflessness but am working on it. I also suck at saving money which is the opposite of him.

I guess if there is someone I am emulating I couldn't have picked a better person. Miss you Dad.
Dave the Dude.

No comments:

Post a Comment